When the cuticle and the layers covering the hair become dry and damaged, the hair strand becomes brittle and breaks apart. Brittle hair and split ends can be caused by loss of moisture and damage, and as a result, when you comb through, bits and pieces of hair fall off due to hair breakage. If you are noticing frayed hair with straw-like texture, it’s time to take the matters in your own hand and stop the hair breakage. In this post, we list down some easy tips and ways to stop hair breakage.
1. Never Rub Hair, Blot it Dry: It’s a common mistake we all tend to make – vigorously rubbing hair to dry them out quickly. This will not only rip natural oils from the hair, it will make hair prone to breakage. Experts suggest first wrapping wet hair in an old cotton t shirt and blotting it dry. Never rub wet hair vigorously. You can also use a microfiber towel to dry hair.
2. Deep Condition Hair Once a Week: Deep conditioning hair once a week is the best way to treat damaged and frizzy hair and make it soft and smooth by restoring hair moisture. Here are 8 Deep Conditioning Tips that will help prevent Hair Breakage. Here’s a completely Homemade Hair Conditioning Mask with Banana and Honey as main ingredients if you do not like chemical-based conditioners.
3. Include a Keratin-Based Shampoo in Haircare Routine: Keratin is basically a protein which is found in the flat cells of the hair. The presence of high amount of keratin can make your hair look healthy and bouncy. However, when the amount of keratin on the scalp starts diminishing, it can lead to dry and brittle hair. People who usually suffer from hair loss or dandruff problems generally have less amount of keratin on their scalp. Keratin-based shampoos are the best in the market because they protect your hair from many environmental factors. They prevent hair loss and breakage problems due to the active enzymes present in it. Using a keratin-based shampoo can help to protect your hair from sun damage and harmful UV rays as well. However, if you suffer from frizzy hair or tangling of hair, you should always look for a keratin-based shampoo as they can help to keep your hair healthy, tangle and frizz free. It is ideally good for maintaining your hair healthy and strong. Our Recommendations: Organix Anti-Breakage Keratin Oil Shampoo, Organix Brazilian Keratin Therapy Shampoo and Conditioner, Tresemme Keratin Smooth Shampoo and Conditioner.
4. Try Hot Oil Treatment once a Week: One of the best ways to prevent hair breakage and frizzy hair is to get a hot oil treatment. Hot Oil Hair Treatment stimulates the growth of new hair, makes hair lustrous, and prevents breakage of hair. Here’s how you can do Hot Oil Treatment at home.
5. Never Skip a Hair Conditioner after Shampooing: A conditioner is a must-have right after shampooing because almost all shampoos tend to rip the moisture and natural oils off hair strands and a conditioner should be followed right after to replenish moisture and hydration back into the hair.
6. Eat a vitamin A, Selenium, Zinc rich Diet: Vitamin A prevents breakage of hair and zinc and selenium are minerals which make hair strong and healthy. Follow Rati Beauty diets to find out which natural food sources are rich in these minerals.
7. Sleep on a Satin/Silk Pillow: Sleeping on a satin/silk pillow is not only great for beautiful skin, it can also prevent breakage, frizziness, and frayed ends.
8. Avoid Chemical Procedures: Frequent hair straightening, perming, rebonding, relaxing etc., can damage the hair cuticle, making the strands weak and prone to breakage. Avoid frequent chemical treatments on hair and use only the appropriate products for chemically-treated hair as suggested by the hairstylist.
9. Use a Hair Dryer with Ion Technology: More and more hair dryers are coming up with the negative ionic technology that breaks down water molecules, drying without damaging hair. They also make hair hydrated, sleek and smooth.
10. Use Satin Scrunchies: Satin scrunchies or hair bands do not cause hair breakage compared to the regular elastic ones. They also prevent frizziness and tangles as well.
11. Use Soft, Wide-Toothed Comb for Wet Hair: Refrain from using narrow-toothed comb for wet hair, instead invest in a wide-toothed comb to detangle hair because they do not pull or tug at the hair.
12. Use a Heat Protectant: Always use a heat protectant before heat styling because hot hair tools cause the maximum damage to hair and a good heat protectant alleviates hair breakage and damage caused by curlers, tongs, and straightening irons.