In this post, we are going to tell you about some amazing foods that actually help you burn fat while you sleep. While it may seem kind of gimmicky to push through the idea of burning fat during sleep, you would be surprised to know that the body is always in a calorie-burning mode, even when you are fast asleep. Calories are converted into energy form to maintain all basic activities – from breathing to maintain the core temperature of the body, calories are needed for every function, even to pump blood efficiently to all the organs. Also, all cellular repair and regenerative activities in the body are undertaken while you sleep and needless to say, these also require some amount of energy in the form of calories. On a serious note, if you sleep for 8+ hours each night, you burn more fat whereas sleeping for less number of hours, the body would start reaching out for muscle instead of fat. Also, sleep deprivation can send fat-burning enzymes and essential hormones into a tizzy, increasing hunger hormone “ghrelin,” stress hormone “cortisol,” and lowering satiety hormone “leptin.” It is extremely important to eat the right food before bedtime, so that we can boost our metabolism and aid the weight loss process. Our choice of food for dinner should be stuff that would speed up metabolism, keep the gut happy, help you have better quality sleep, and be thermogenic in nature. Also, it would be a good idea to have foods with tryptophan (an amino acid that increases serotonin levels in the body, which helps to produce melatonin, and melatonin helps us to sleep better and wake up full of energy. Check out Rati Beauty weight loss diets on the Rati Beauty app to find out how you can lose weight by eating the right kind of food. In this post, we list out Foods That Burn Fat While you Sleep.
1. Lemon: Although one might think lemons to be acidic because of their sharp and sour taste, this citrus fruit actually has an incredible alkalizing effect on the body. This is great for the health of our liver, which in turns aids digestion, boosts metabolism and burns fat while we sleep.
2. Avocado: Avocado is an excellent source of very healthy fat (Omega 9), but much to everyone’s surprise, it actually helps burn the fat in our bodies. Eat avocado as part of your dinner, so that it can help boost your metabolism and convert the fat in your body into energy.
3. Coconut: Eating coconut or even consuming limited quantities of coconut oil can provide you with the right dose of healthy fats that maintain the liver function and help burn fat. Coconut also helps you feel and stay full, thereby preventing you from overeating.
4. Green tea: Green tea is a great source of metabolism boosting antioxidants. Not only is it a great thing to have to improve your overall health and immunity, it is especially useful for burning abdominal fat. Drink a cup of green tea after your meals to aid digestion and burn fat.
5. Leafy greens: Low in calories and low in carbohydrates, leafy greens are packed with excellent nutrients and lots of fibre. This keeps you feeling full for longer, while nourishing your body and burning fat.
6. Grapefruit: Grapefruit is known to be an excellent food that promotes weight loss just by itself. Make sure to include it in your diet, especially if you are trying to lose weight. If you don’t like the taste, you can choose to add it to a smoothie.
7. Oats: Oats are a great source of fibre, and eating oats means you stay full for much longer and don’t need to fill up on other carbs that add to your weight. You can switch your regular roti or rice with oats at dinnertime.
8. Dates: A powerhouse of nutrients, dates are an excellent way to satisfy your sweet tooth without adding any extra calories. Dates are also rich in fibre, which again means that you feel full faster and don’t end up overeating.
9. Legumes: Legumes like dals and beans are an excellent source of protein in the diet. They keep you feeling full for longer, add to the nutrient profile of your diet, and help you keep your weight in check.
10. Whole grains: Cutting out all refined grains from your diet can be the best thing that you can do to aid your weight loss journey. Focus on eating whole, unrefined grains, like brown, red or black rice (instead of white rice), and grains like ragi, jowar and bajra instead of refined wheat.
11. Almonds: A few almonds a day can greatly boost the metabolism, provide a good dose of vitamin E, protein, and healthy fats. Almonds are also considered superfood for this very reason.
12. Paneer/Cottage Cheese: Rich in protein, paneer also has tryptophan which helps to increase serotonin and melatonin in the body, and lets you have a good night’s sleep, also improving metabolism.
13. Greek Yogurt: We are not talking about the flavoured Greek yogurt tubs available in the market, instead opt for unflavoured, plain Greek yogurt ones that help to burn belly fat by a great degree with its high probiotic content.
14. Cucumbers: Low in calories, high in water content, cucumbers are a natural choice for everyone on a diet, but making a juice out of cucumbers and parsley can detox the body, boost metabolism, and help burn while sleeping.
15. Walnuts: Just like almonds, walnuts are rich in healthy fats, protein, and boost metabolism a great degree. Eating a handful of nuts (walnuts, almonds) will help you burn fat through the day.
16. Flaxseeds: Getting you the much-needed fiber, along with omega-3 fatty acids, flaxseeds are an inexpensive way to burn fat. Flaxseeds also trigger the production of serotonin, helping you in sleeping better through the night.
17. Broccoli: If you want to burn belly fat, choose green, yellow, and orange colored veggies and that’s why we are suggesting you broccoli for its high calcium, and low calorie content.
18. Spicy Food: Do not forget to get a good dose of daily spice, especially at night, to raise the thermogenic activity in the body, boost metabolism, and help in the fat-burning process.
19. Warm Milk: Does the idea of drinking a glass of warm milk sound good to you? It should! Because it promotes good sleep with its tryptophan content and helps burn fat with calcium and vitamin D levels.
20. Cheese: Feta, mozzarella, Swiss are some varieties of cheese that have low fat and high nutrient value, helping to burn fat through the day.