Many people develop the misconception that one needs to starve through the majority of the day in order to shed extra weight and trim down. Such wrong notions prevent people from going on weight loss diets, which otherwise can be a sureshot way to lose weight. Food deprivation is propagated by certain fad diets that only work for a short period of time and once you come off them, you tend to put on more weight. In fact, eat in moderation, not less on weight loss diets such as on Rati Beauty. To lose weight successfully, one needs to be in calorie deficit and not food deprivation, eating just the right amount and the right kind of food to successfully drop all the extra pounds. It is also important to remain motivated and work hard towards your goal weight. And so, in this post, we are clearing up the air on why you have to eat more and lose weight and ways to do that.
What is Calorie Deficit?
A calorie deficit occurs when a person consumes fewer calories than those burnt while exercising, resting, or performing basic bodily functions. In contrast, a calorie surplus occurs when a person consumes more calories than those that are burnt, leading to weight gain. In order to have a calorie deficit, the average person must cut down food intake by 500 calories per day. This figure is usually sufficient for weight loss without affecting energy levels, hunger, or bodily functions. For women, the number of calories must not drop below 1200 calories per day, and for men, it should not fall below 1500 calories per day.
Why Eating Less will Lead to Weight Gain?
Whenever there is extreme food deprivation, the body lowers metabolism considerably in order to preserve energy, and that means one would be burning fewer calories than before. This would completely stall the whole weight loss process. In fact, the body will go into a fat-preserving mode and whenever food becomes available in optimum quantity the next time around, most of it will be stored rather than getting burned out. Ideally, you should remain in calorie deficit and yet eat enough food to run all bodily functions smoothly, including lipolysis (which is the fat-burning process).
7 Ways to Eat More and Lose Weight:
1. Start your day with a Protein-Rich Breakfast: If you are starting your day with a sugary packaged cereal that you can add to a bowl of milk, it’s gonna leave you hungry through the day. Instead, switch to traditional Indian breakfast dishes rich in protein or basic eggs to feel full through the day and boosts metabolism so that you can keep burning calories. Here’s a list 15 Indian Breakfast Dishes You Must Try in Order to Stay Fit.
2. Snack up on Nuts: Several studies have shown that eating nuts can help boost weight loss efforts. Most nuts like walnuts, almonds, pistachios and cashews have a good amount of protein, vitamins, and healthy fats, all of which boost metabolism and trigger release of fatty acids from the cells that can be burnt and used up as energy. They also help the body to burn calories more effectively. Whenever you feel strong hunger pangs – take a few almonds, cashews, walnuts or any dry fruit of your choice to eat (avoid raisins though) because they can make you full and keep you feeling that way for longer. It is better than opting for unhealthy options like potato chips or French fries to curb the hunger. It would be a great idea to keep a box full of nuts in your bag whenever you travel to avoid opting for processed snacks that have high number of calories.
2. Make Healthy Food Swaps: The most important change that one can start their weight loss journey with or in general get healthy is by swapping unhealthy food in their diet with healthy alternatives. Replacing these food items will help kickstart your weight loss process with full gusto and also would serve as small stepping stones to big successes. In this post, we list out 50 Healthy Food Swaps That Everyone Should Absolutely Try.
3. Eat Whole Foods with Complex Carbs and Fiber: The fiber content in whole foods help to slow down the digestion process and as a result, there would not be sharp insulin spikes. When the blood sugar levels are stable due to slow insulin rise, the extra calories do not get stored as fat droplets in adipocytes. Do make sure a majority of your food is whole food without any processing involved, rich in protein, fiber, and complex carbs.
4. Fill Half of your Plate with Vegetables: It’s a clever trick to feel fuller with lots of food in the form of veggies which usually have less calories. Some vegetables even are called “zero calorie.” The concept behind “zero calories” is that the body burns more calories to digest a food item with negligible calories. For example, mushrooms, celery, cucumber, etc. have extremely low amount of calories and the body burns more calories to burn them out, sometimes leading to a negative deficit. Consider this, if a cucumber has 15 calories in it, the body may use up to 20 calories to burn it off, and mathematically, it means the total calorie count fell beyond zero. Amazing, right?! But the truth is that you cannot make a diet comprising of only zero calorie food items and expect to lose weight because the body also needs nutrition, vitamins, and energy to run, and a lack of nutrients will kill your metabolism, so keep a healthy balance of everything in your diet. Here’s a list of List of 32 Zero Calorie Foods For Weight Loss that you can include in your diet.
5. Don’t say no to healthy fats: It makes you feel full, helps control your appetite, helps burn more fat, and also your body needs fats to absorb fat-soluble vitamins like A, D, E, and K. Read How Eating Fats Can Make you Thin in this post.
6. Nibble on Dark Chocolate: You are not going to miss chocolate on Rati Beauty weight loss diets because we recommend nibbling on a square or two of dark chocolate as snack because they are loaded with antioxidants, boost metabolism, and curb appetite for junk food. Dark chocolate also betters insulin sensitivity and reduces stress as well – and all these factors contribute to accelerating weight loss.
7. Follow Rati Beauty Weight Loss Program: The diets on this app do not encourage you to eat less, they promote healthy eating and weight loss by eating the right kind of food. Download the app on your phone for more details.