It’s a fact that our bodies absolutely hate shedding those extra layers of fat that it has meticulously hoarded over the years and that it is still stockpiling for a proverbial rainy day. As much as you want to slim down, your body will resist and desist, and do everything possible to fight weight loss. We have been wired in such a way through the evolutionary process that we have certain genes that encourage extra calories to be stored as fat to increase chances of survival. Have you noticed how it’s difficult to shed extra weight after losing the initial 5 or 10 kg, and that’s because the body adjusts various parameters so that there’s less energy expenditure and adapts to surviving on fewer calories by becoming energy efficient. In this post, we find out ways to trick the body to burn more fat and exactly what to do when your body fights weight loss.
1. When it Lowers Metabolism and Runs on Fewer Calories: Metabolic compensation is a survival mechanism that the body adapts to when it has lost weight and runs on lesser calories even during activity than it did previously. In such a situation, the body tends to conserve fat, and even with considerable calorie restriction, the weight loss process slows down. To counter slow metabolism, there are different ways, from drinking green tea, to eating metabolism-boosting foods, to doing cardio exercises, all of them would increase the metabolism and get you back on track. Also, here’s a list of 21 Tricks to Boost Metabolism.
2. When Fat-Burning Hormones Malfunction: Weight loss can come to a halt when important hormones like thyroid, cortisol, testosterone, estrogen, leptin, human growth hormone, ghrelin, and most importantly, insulin go out of whack. When these hormones malfunction, one can gain weight instead of shedding extra weight. Read how you can lose weight with different hormonal imbalances by clicking on the respective links – How to Lose Weight with Hypothyroidism, How Human Growth Hormone Help with Weight Loss and Fat Burning, 20 Ways to Control Hunger Hormone Ghrelin to Lose Weight, How Insulin Makes you Fat and Prevents Weight Loss.
3. When the Level of Satiety Hormone Leptin Drops: Leptin is the satiety or fullness hormone that sends signal to the brain that you are “full” and have had enough food. Leptin and ghrelin (hunger hormone) usually work in unity, maintaining an optimum balance, ghrelin rising only when there is a need to replenish energy and leptin signalling when there’s enough calories and energy in the body. However, when leptin function gets impaired, the body tends to pile on calories, uncertain of when to stop eating. Leptin also pushes your body to burn stored fat to produce heat. This hormone also plays an important role in the regulation of thyroid gland, growth hormone, and adrenal glands. When a person is leptin resistant, it becomes very difficult to lose weight because the body is always in a state of hunger and does not realize that it has enough energy in the system. Yo-yo dieting, cortisol, free radicals all can affect leptin resistance. Do eat foods rich in antioxidants to trigger leptin release. Foods such as banana, pomegranate, pumpkin, kiwi, avocado, carrots, green leafy vegetables, garlic, mango, blueberries, kidney beans, apples, turmeric, are all rich in antioxidants which trigger the release of leptin hormone that controls appetite.
4. When the Body Increases the Drive to Eat More Foods: When you start to lose weight, the levels of hunger hormone “ghrelin” increases to signal the need for energy and calories, and this hormone would signal you to eat more frequently, also increase unnecessary cravings for sugary foods. To suppress ghrelin, increase protein and fiber intake, practice water preloading before every meal, and above all lower stress because it can trigger appetite and ghrelin production.
5. When it Gets Adjusted to the Exercise Routine: If you’ve lost weight in the past due to exercise and you are still following the same kind of routine, the body will adapt to this routine, and as a result, you will see no considerable weight loss results. To counter this, follow the exercise programs on the Rati Beauty app to shed weight succesfully.
6. By Creating Sleep Disturbances: Less number of sleep hours can create havoc with your hormones, lowering satiety hormone, increasing stress and hunger hormone. A good night’s sleep is necessary to optimize all fat-burning hormones. Every body function sets into place when you have adequate sleep at night, at least 7 hours, and lesser than, all important body functions can go for a toss, with increase the hunger and stress hormones (ghrelin and cortisol respectively). To get good sleep at night, avoid using gadgets during bedtime, listen to soothing music, or indulge in positive thinking. Here are some additional tips that will help you to conquer insomnia and sleep well at night.
7. When It Increases Food Cravings: Food cravings are caused by imbalance in ghrelin, leptin, insulin hormones. High stress, anxiety and emotional dependency on food can also trigger food cravings. When there’s extreme calorie restriction, we tend to have unwanted cravings too. Read about some amazing tips to counter cravings – 18 Effective Tips to Beat Cravings for Indian Junk Food and Eating These Simple Things Can Strike Down Cravings.
8. When you Feel Tired and Fatigued: When you have lowered intake by a considerable degree, the body tends to react by making you feel tired and fatigued all the time, providing you with little energy to do regular chores or indulge in exercise. Here’s how you can fight the fatigue and feel more energetic to motor through the day.
If you are trying to lose weight, do check the weight loss programs on the Rati Beauty app to shed the extra pounds successfully.