Darkness or hyperpigmentation can occur on any part of the face – most commonly in the undereye area, corners of the mouth, on the lips, and so on. But some women experience hyperpigmentation patches on their eyelids as well. Sun exposure is the most common cause for darkness around the eyes and on the lids as most people tend to avoid sunscreen application on these parts of the face. It is important to apply sunscreen all over the face and neck area, even under the eyes and over the lids to avoid sun damage and pigmentation. Ageing is another reason for dark eyelids. As the skin ages, drop in collagen and dryness can also make the skin around the eyes dark. Applying eye creams that contain collagen-boosting ingredients can help improve the appearance of skin, and eventually, the eyelid pigmentation will also reduce. Another major reason is lack of sleep and extended screen time. Lack of sleep does not allow the body to regenerate the cells and we end up waking up with dark skin around the eyes. The sleeping position also makes a huge difference. Sleeping on the stomach may cause fluids to accumulate under the eyes and on the eyelids. This makes pigmentation more prominent in the morning. So now that we know the common causes, let’s look towards the remedies – we have put together 14 effective home remedies to get rid of dark eyelids.
1. Straighten up the Diet: Lack of vitamins such as B and C, and minerals like zinc and iron can cause darkening of the eyelids. A balanced diet is essential to avoid any nutritional deficiencies that might cause darkening of the lids. Switch to a diet that provides the body with ample nutrition, including B vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids and iron in your diet, and you can find such diets on the Rati Beauty app.
2. Cucumber Juice and Rose Water Treatment: Simply dip a cotton round ball in freshly extracted cucumber juice and a bit of rose water and apply all over the lids. Leave it overnight and do this regularly to clear away the hyperpigmentation.
3. Avoid sleeping with your face down to prevent straining the skin around your eyes. Sleep on your back, with your head elevated to ensure proper blood flow to the face.
4. A cold compress with a soft washcloth in the morning can also help reduce the darkness on the eyelids.
5. Place sliced cucumbers on the eyes and relax! This is possibly the most popular trick to get rid of under-eye darkness. Homemade cucumber bags.
6. Dip a cotton pad in rose water and gently apply it over the eye area, and do this frequently to see results.
7. Just before hitting the sack, massage your skin and eyelid area gently with extra virgin olive oil. Use your ring finger to gently massage to increase blood circulation around the eyes after the oil application.
8. Almond oil, with its rich vitamin E, nourishes and fade away hyperpigmentation with regular use. Apply almond oil directly all over the lids and leave it overnight to see faster results.
9. Coriander and carrot juice when mixed together in equal quantity is a very effective remedy to treat lid pigmentation! You can either dab the juice with a cotton pad on the area, or drink it to see hyperpigmentation fade away.
10. Lemon juice and rose water mixed together and applied on the eyelids is also an effective remedy. Do this regularly before going to bed and you shall be amazed with the results.
11. Grate some raw potato and extract the juice. Now, take a cotton ball and soak it in the potato juice. Close your eyes and place these cotton balls on your eyes. Make sure they cover the entire area of the dark circles under your eyes as well as the eyelids. Leave it on for 10 minutes and wash off with cold water.
12. Green Tea Bags: Soak a tea bag preferably a chamomile or green tea bags in water. Chill it by placing it in the refrigerator for a while. Place these bags over the eyes and relax. Do this regularly to see remarkable difference within a few days.
13. Apply raw cold milk around the eye area. The lactic acid content in the milk has skin-lightening properties that fade away dark circles.
14. Here’s the recipe for a homemade cucumber and aloe vera mask that you should absolutely try to relax, rejuvenate as well.
Other than this, do remember to wear refractive glass while working on the computer for long hours. Also, sleeping for 8 hours or more helps a great deal in reducing dark circles.
What are your trusted home remedies for dark eyelids?