When we look at the list of natural fat burners, cinnamon, which is an aromatic spice, used extensively in Indian kitchens, ranks quite high on the list. There’s no iota of doubt that there are no quick fixes or magic key that can unlock the door to stored fat – only being on a nutrient-dense calorie deficit diet and consistent exercise can bring about the transformation and get you to your goal weight. However, natural ingredients like cinnamon are believed to supplement and boost the whole weight loss process, but does cinnamon really deserve the high weightage it gets in the weight loss bazaar? Also, a lot of people are adding copious amounts of cinnamon into their big jar of water in the hope to slim down as fast as they can, but is it worth it; most importantly, is it safe? Let’s find out:
Why Cinnamon is Considered a Weight Loss Boosting Ingredient?
First of all, there are four types of cinnamon – ceylon, Cassia, Saigon, and Korintje. The most common variety that is extensively used for its strong flavour and aroma is “Cassia,” followed by the Ceylon variety. A compound called “coumarin” which is higher in percentage in the cassia variety has been found to have side effects and may potentially cause liver damage when consumed in excessive amount, therefore Ceylon variant is considered much better for regular use, so do consult with your physician before including cinnamon in your daily diet.
Now, comes the question – does cinnamon really help with weight loss, consider these points:
1. Can Substitute White Sugar: The most important factor that can help you a great deal when trying to lose weight and get healthy in general, is by quitting white sugar and finding healthier alternatives. Cinnamon for example, is not only a spice, it has a natural sweetness which can sweeten up your cup of coffee or tea, unlike white sugar which is full of empty calories and raises blood sugar rapidly. Sugar consumption is probably a major reason you are unable to lose weight right now, and quitting it altogether will help you slim down rather effortlessly.
2. Cinnamon stabilizes blood sugar, lowers cholesterol, improves insulin resistance: As we have mentioned above, a jump in blood sugar is detrimental for your health and weight loss goals, because high blood sugar triggers the release of insulin, which also encourages fat storage in the body.
3. Cinnamon is a good source of minerals like calcium, zinc, iron, phosphorous, magnesium, potassium, folate, and also vitamins like A, C, and K – all of which have been known to boost the fat-burning process. Also read: “10 Spices that Boost the Weight Loss Process.”
4. The compound cinnamaldehyde can induce thermogenesis in the body, a study has found. As we all know, during thermogenesis, the body creates heat and incinerates a lot more calories in the process.
5. Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory properties – chronic inflammation leads to weight gain.
6. Cinnamon speeds up metabolism by triggering sirtuin-1, which is a compound needed in lipid metabolism. It discourages storage of fat, speeds metabolism, and boosts fat burning. Also read: “12 Foods That Slow Down Metabolism.”
7. Helps in curbing appetite – so that you can stick to your diet better.
8. One teaspoon of cinnamon contains enough fiber to keep you full for long hours and prevent unnecessary cravings.
9. Cinnamon is filled with powerful antioxidants, such as polyphenols, that neutralize free radicals and prevent cellular damage.
With so many benefits, cinnamon surely “heats things up” in the body, but as we have mentioned above, excessive consumption in a bid to lose weight rapidly would not only be futile, it may even backfire. Just a pinch in hot water, or a dash in a cup of tea/coffee, a light sprinkling over oats to sweeten things up, or the combination of cinnamon with honey in a tea form is enough to reap the benefits of this wonderful spice. Just half to one tbsp in a day or half inch bark is what you should look at – and do not forget to be on a nutrient-dense weight like Rati Beauty diet and also workout regularly to reach your goal weight soon.